Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Date Night

 

The room is bright and cheery

A small chandelier dangles delicately above a round table for two

I open my bag and carefully place the dishes on the table

My wife comes in the room guided by a large friendly orderly

He places her gently in the chair

Mrs. Roberts it looks like your husband brought you a tasty meal. You’re one lucky lady

A tear falls on my plate

I brought your favorite, roasted garlic chicken, mashed potatoes, and asparagus

I take her hand and place it in mine

Our wedding bands brush up against each other

She jerks it away

Calls the orderly over and him to take her back to her room

Which he does without questioning

My eyes flood with tears as I finish the dinner I cooked for the two of us

No one bothers to look at me

For almost six months this has happened every Friday

I miss my wife

I miss our shared meals

No comments:

Post a Comment