Thursday, September 28, 2017

The Promise

To be able to receive Jesus was all I ever wanted
When the year came, things changed
My friends played ball in the park
While I stayed in bed, too weak to even read
Mama said that I should consider doing my First Communion next year
Each time she brought it up, I flooded my pillow with tears
So my lessons began with my mother's taechings
As winter turned into spring, the recovery I prayed for was not meant to be
Keeping food down was difficult
The blandest bread and the sweetest fruit did nothing to sooth my tummy
How could I receive Jesus like this?
For weeks and weeks I prayed, but I only got worse
Mama called a priest
On the day of May 3rd, I received three sacraments
The priest listened as I told him my sins
He placed the Host in my mouth and to my surprise I swallowed it with ease
Lastly, he gave me last rights
I took my last breadth that night
This is not a sad story, but a happy one
Before Jesus took my to heave I received my First Communion
I even wore a veil




No comments:

Post a Comment